I’ve been checking out lots of books from the library for Izzy, and have found several titles that we both adore. There are others that I don’t like so much so I’ve decided to start chronicling what we’re reading so I remember to re-borrow favorites and stay away from the losers.
Some Things are Scary by Florence Parry Heide and illustrated by Jules Feiffer
I checked this book out for two reasons:
1) the author also wrote Princess Hyacinth: The surprising tale of a girl who floated, a book that both Izzy and I enjoyed (even though it was a typical princess story where the girl was saved by the boy)
2) it got high marks on Amazon
I have learned two thing:
1) just because an author wrote one good book, doesn’t mean she wrote two good books
2) the people who leave reviews on amazon.com cannot be trusted
This book totally sucked for two reasons:
1) It was a laundry list of “scary” things: swinging too high, skating too fast, people laughing and you don’t know why, growing up
2) It never showed the kids overcoming their fears, only being afraid
If you want your kid to grow up to be a neurotic mess, then definitely get this book. It will prove to her that all her fears are completely valid and that there is absolutely no way to confront and overcome them.
I pointed out a very large and beautiful collie running down the sidewalk.
Wendy: Izzy look at the pretty dog.
Izzy: That’s not a dog. That’s a horse!
While preparing food to take to work for the week…
Izzy: What’s that?
Wendy: It’s an artichoke.
Izzy: I like artichokes in my home.
While eating dinner…
Izzy: May I have some watermelon please.
Wendy: We don’t have any.
Izzy: Let’s go to the grocery store and buy some.
After damaging the front door with a shoe horn…
Mitch: Everything is a game to you.
Izzy: I know.
Let’s go to the park to see what we can find.
While eating ice cream: it’s making my tummy cold. Make it warmer please.
Gesturing like she’s handing me something: Here. It’s a present for you. Happy birthday. When I ask her what it is, she tells me it is a bowl of strawberries.
Sunday: Chorizo and Polenta
Monday: Chicken Enchiladas and cabbage
Thai-inspired minced turkey and lettuce wraps turkey meatloaf, mashed potatoes and roasted zucchini
Turkey, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts Turkey pesto meatballs and spaghetti and broccoli
Pork Loin, acorn squash and broccoli TJs Chicken Drummettes and tater puffs
Wild rice and chicken casserole Burritos at Taqueria Cancun
Veggie Lasagne Turkey, butternut squash, Brussels sprouts